Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Belgian graphic artists

I've often wondered what it is about Jacques Brel's "flat land", Belgium, that has given rise to so many talented graphic artists, particularly in the domain of comics.

Guy Peellaert, who died in Paris last Monday, was renowned for his work on disk jackets and movie posters. His depiction of David Bowie as a canine centaur, for his Diamond Dogs album, was a masterpiece.


My daughter was born in Brussels. I must ask her, one of these days, if she thinks there might be some kind of a surrealist gene in Belgians.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know what it is, but there is something very strong about Belgium and it's artists, particularly surrealistic art - or melancholy. Just look at René Magritte, James Ensor, Paul Delvaux...

    And the joke on the news last year saying that Belgium does not exist any more, the King is running away...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing about this in Google Reader - I searched. Tell me more

    ReplyDelete
  3. AH! Last year? Well I guess he's still there!

    ReplyDelete