Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Eternal Greece

Once upon a time, for ages, I believed that Greece was eternal.


Today, I'm not so sure.

Ever since I left Australia in 1962, I've been in love with this country... to the point of working as a sailor on a Greek tramp steamer, and learning to communicate in Modern Greek.

For ages, I had romantic dreams about the idea of purchasing a property on the island of Tinos, in the vicinity of the ancient Roman Catholic village of Loutra, where I once wandered [evocations] among lost windmills.

Today, for terribly down-to-earth economic reasons, it has become impossible to retain any kind of romantic vision of Greece... maybe for decades to come.

Must we cry? Yes. For the moment, while Europe tries to get adjusted to the realities of the 21st century, that's about all we antiquated philhellenes can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment