Thursday, January 2, 2014

Beatles nostalgia

There’s no particular reason why I might be nostalgic concerning the Beatles, apart from the trivial fact that their phenomenon erupted at about the same time that I arrived in Europe in the early ’60s. I never went out of my way to see them perform, and I haven’t even gone on a pilgrimage to Liverpool. To be perfectly honest, I’ve never looked upon any of their stuff as particularly brilliant, let alone awesome… although I consider Imagine by John Lennon as a nice poetic masterpiece. Consequently, I don’t really know why I’m moved by this mindless old-fashioned song, This Boy, on the flip side of the original disk of I Want to Hold Your Hand.


It all sounds to me like a naive black-and-white vision of silly superficial sentiments that illuminated the Old World at that time. My personal existence went through Beatlemania rapidly, like an icy knife through warm English pudding. To mix metaphors, they were never my kettle of fish. Mostly, their songs bored me completely. And I still can’t understand why these four juvenile dandies became so universally popular. I’m convinced that the phenomenon of hordes of screaming female fans played a major role in their celebrity, much more than their actual musical talents.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Willliam,

    At least, we are two in this case.

    I have been thinking of the Beatles on December 31st, 2013.

    Why?

    To cut a long story short: I stopped playing piano when my teacher forced me to play Beatles songs, thinking that a 16 years old girl would like to play their songs. He was wrong. I wanted to play MUSIC, i.e. Bach, Chopin. He continued insisting and I decided to give up fighting.

    On December 31st, I ordered a piano. Of course, I'm aware about the fact that it will take ages before I can only play "Für Elise" again, but I think it is worth trying.

    Happy New Year! I wish you all the best.
    Corina.

    ReplyDelete