Saturday, January 12, 2008

Liberation of two Columbian hostages

The release by the FARC of Clara Rojas and Consuelo Gonzalez was, to a large extent, the outcome of the intervention of Hugo Chavez, president of Venezuela.

Fabrice Delloye, the former husband of Ingrid Betancourt and the father of Mélanie and Lorenzo, has indicated publicly that the French president Nicolas Sarkozy also played a role in this event. On the other hand, Alvaro Uribe, president of Columbia, appeared to be absent from the context in which this liberation finally took place.

Personally, I find it hard to understand Chavez when he suggests that the FARC should be considered, not as a terrorist group, but as a "true army". Normally, legitimate soldiers don't kidnap hundreds of hostages and kill civilians with roadside bombs.

Clara Rojas judges severely the organization that held her captive in the jungle for six years: "Taking hostages is a crime against humanity. I am most worried by the fact that they call themselves the people's army, and that we see them training people for kidnapping."

2 comments:

  1. Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was happy to receive this friendly comment from the South American continent. Thank you. It goes without saying that we shall all be much happier when Ingrid Betancourt and the hundreds of other hostages are liberated. In rereading my short post, I think that maybe it was wrong of me to underestimate the role of Alvaro Uribe in the release of Clara Rojas and Consuelo Gonzalez, because it must be admitted that he allowed Venezuelan helicopters to move freely through Columbian airspace, facilitating the liberation operations.

    ReplyDelete