Monday, January 14, 2008

Warm penguins

I find this image beautiful and moving, but terrifying. In the penguin domain, I'm an ignoramus... but I have the impression that those poor animals on their melting iceberg are just as puzzled as me concerning the future of their domain, and the planet Earth.

It would appear that Antarctica, due to global warming, is dissolving into the sea. I'm aware that these beasts know how to swim. So, if and when their flossy island disappears into the depths, they won't drown. But where will they swim to? Up until now, the penguin paradise was named Antarctica. For penguins, there's no other El Dorado. For us humans, it's more or less the same thing.

1 comment:

  1. But where will they swim to? [...] For penguins, there's no other El Dorado. For us humans, it's more or less the same thing.

    I'm a bit stupid tonight, but what about Second Life? I was born on SL on December 15th, 2007. I was very disappointed when I discovered that Second Life is basically like First Life. But there is a very important feature: TELEPORT. At least for 5 seconds (it depends on your Internet connexion), you can dream of the grass which grows greener in your neighbour's garden.

    Although I met some nice people on an island, I continue to teleport myself. I would appreciate to have this "teleport" function in real life...

    You might say: escapism. Maybe, but on the other hand, I'm too pragmatic (at least some friends pretend so).

    There is no place for an El Dorado other than a symbolic one.

    ReplyDelete