Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Hydrangea-covered slopes above the sea in Brittany

When my son François first drove me onto these slopes (which can be found in several different places along the coast), and told me the story of this spectacular horticultural entreprise, I was amazed.


It's a relatively recent affair, imagined by a single fellow. He decided that Hydrangea would grow well in such places, and that the flowers could then be picked, packaged and transported economically to various major flower markets. And the rest is a splendid success story. It's the sort of lovely story that makes me wonder: Gee, it's so simple; why didn't I think of that?

2 comments:

  1. And do you know what is meant
    to be the factor causing hydrangeas
    to be blue, pink, or white in color?
    Susan S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe it's a question of chemicals in the soil, at the time, not sure of the details. What's more amazing about the ones in Brittany, which I saw last year when François drove us there, is the dark maroon ones

    ReplyDelete